..<<< More info >>>..

Thursday 11 September 2008

Christmas Cold and Flu Tonic

The other day I came across a new blog: Naturally You. As I was reading Mayya's Cure for Sore Throats and Colds, I realized I have failed to share my own cold and flu tonic! Mayya's recipe differs to mine in that she adds boiling water, uses ginger instead of vinegar, and adds lemon instead of cayenne. I haven't tried her recipe yet, but it sounds like a good one. Be sure to check it out, especially if you're not fond of cayenne since it's one of the ingredients I use.

With Christmas just a breath away, all the stress from shopping, cooking, baking, and braving the snow (should you live in a colder climate), can really leave your immune system weak, which usually means you start feeling the onset of sickness.

At the first sign of a sore throat, I run to my kitchen and whip up my beloved cold and flu tonic. Most of us have the following ingredients in our kitchen, so you won't even need to make a trip to the store!

For my Christmas tonic, you'll need:

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar (with mother, the living enzymes that haven't been removed by processing)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
I love to reuse a honey bear bottle or a small jar with a lid for storing this tonic. If your honey bear is already empty, or has about 1/4 cup honey inside, just use it as is. Add your vinegar, cayenne, and shake. Store in a cabinet or the fridge, whichever you prefer. Adults can take a tablespoon at a time, several times a day--up to nine, to be exact. Youth and children at a good weight can take a teaspoon or tablespoon 4-5 times a day, as needed. Smaller children, or children that are very thin, can be given 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon up to three times a day, as the parent sees fit.

I love this combination--although it's quite tart and spicy--because it really begins to kill that infection in the throat. The vinegar kills the bacteria that's causing you to be sick and it's loaded with vitamin C! The honey is so soothing and the cayenne improves circulation, drawing away the infection.

If you can handle the twang, I hope you enjoy reaping the benefits of my Christmas cold and flu tonic. Of course, you can use it any time of the year! Just remember to shake before each use. Oh, and get ready to pucker!

No comments:

Digg!
R.Design: Charm Skins